Wednesday 18 May 2011

E-Library

Manchester has an e-library. This is excellent news. I love my e-reader and use libraries profusely, so I've been waiting for Birmingham to get on board with the scheme ever since I first heard about it. My hometown's unlikely to upgrade anytime soon- it's too small and the population mostly elderly. But Manchester is close by and I visit a lot. I feel justified in joining my third library in the country if its Manchester. Of course, you can join as many libraries as you like in England, but it does seem a bit greedy. Anyway, you can even join online, by filling in this form. I plan on going away this summer and being able to borrow ebooks will reduce my luggage load by approximately half a suitcase. You might suggest I actually buy some ebooks instead of waiting around for virtual libraries to appear, but I am a firm believer in unrestricted reading. Everyone should have the opportunity to read and modern technology means this is available in different mediums of access. I'm not even sure how borrowing ebooks will work to be honest; do they just disappear after 21 days? How do they know when to self-destruct? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Anyone else an e-library fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment