Tuesday 14 January 2014

Don't over-think it

Today I remembered a story, or urban legend, about the time American astronauts spent millions of dollars and many months developing a pen with ink that could work in space. The Russians, so the story goes, simply brought a pencil.

It's a good message for life, I think. Sometimes, perhaps most of the time, things are simpler than we think they are. Creating patterns out of chaos is a very human trait, but is not always useful.

Anyway. I still haven't done a wrap up of 2013 yet, and don't really feel like it yet, so we'll see. I read 36 books, which I'm pretty happy with. I also read my first ever foreign language book, even if it was only a kids book.

There will also be a review up on Insurgent shortly, the sequel to Divergent.

I started writing again in these past few days, and it feels wonderful. I think I know now exactly the kind of story I want to be writing. More and more stories like the fairytale I wrote late last year - like the ones I read and adored as a child and which are simply the most fun to write. I still think stories like that are magical.

I came across a wonderful speech about reading by Neil Gaiman, which I wanted to share here: http://readingagency.org.uk/news/blog/neil-gaiman-lecture-in-full.html. It's pretty inspiring.

That's all for now, but more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment