Friday 23 September 2011

Reasons I love Ender's Game

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, is one of my favourite books, and probably the one I am most likely to recommend to people. I love the original book, because it just has everything you could possibly want from a book. It's interesting and exciting, sad and very human. For me, it's a comfort read; one I can pick up at any time and just know I'm going to enjoy it as much each time.

But the wonderful thing about this book is it's part of a series, not just a linear series of sequels, but a whole network of prequels, and in-between books, books from other perspectives, short stories that fit into the world Scott Card has created to explain it in even more detail.

I just ordered one of these short stories that I hadn't heard of before, a War of Gifts, which is a perfect example of this. It investigates some of the background of other boys at Battle School at the same time as Ender. It answers some of the questions as to what else was going on at the time, making the saga very multi-dimensional (in a human relation, not a sci-fi way).

I liked a War of Gifts, only problem was it's too short. I am just greedy for more.

Fortunately, there is still one more part of the puzzle I havn't read, First Meetings, as well as a few additions to the Shadow series in the pipeline.

The other books in this network are just as good as the original, weaving a mass of subjects together with great storytelling. These include philosophy, politics, theology, sociology, history, phsyics, biology and pysycholog, all in a completely digestable, readable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment