Tuesday 6 September 2011

Stylistics

Some books use quirky stylistics to grab attention, showcase dialect or...well I'm not sure what other reasons could justify it to be honest.

Excess use of capitals, non-standard spellings, badly formed sentences- I personally find them uncessary and distracting. It's the literary equivalent of turning up to an interview in a Hawaiian shirt.

I know some authors feel they can represent certain characteristics (such as madness, I suppose), or obviously ANGER. Nobody likes to read page upon page of capitals, it just feels like you are constantly being shouted at.

Purposeful misspellings are even worse. It takes too long to understand them, meaning you spend more time on decyphering the text than on enjoying the story and forgetting reality. A good book should make you feel like you're not even reading, and, at least for me, messy stylistics decidedly hamper this.

No comments:

Post a Comment