Tuesday 22 October 2013

NaNoWriMo

After finding out about NaNoWriMo on the 5th of November last year and promising I would do it in 2013, I'm trying to prepare for the mammoth task of writing a 50,000 word novel in a month. I am beyond excited.

My planning isn't exactly concrete - I have a basic idea and a few details about my main character, but that's about all so far.

I am really looking forward to being able to concentrate purely on writing for a while, although it does mean I'm racing to get things sorted out in the last bit of October.

There are also local meet-ups near where I live, and support via social media. I particularly like the way the NaNo team send emails encouraging you to do it, and I'm sure they'll be really useful when I'm stuck with writer's block.

It's a lovely idea, and if it gets me writing more regularly and just more, then it'll have been a success. For all the people who think it's a stupid idea to write so much so quickly ("It'll just be poor quality!"), there's always December for editing, and you can't edit what you haven't written.

Is anyone else taking part this year? Or any advice from NaNo veterans?

No comments:

Post a Comment