Wednesday 17 August 2011

Boys books vs. girls books

There is no denying that certain genres are considered as more suitable for one gender rather than catering to the whole population. Books targeted towards males include sci-fi, crime, war and thrillers. The female half of the equation is chicklit (of course), romance, family sagas etc. It made me wonder whether my personal tastes fit these society prescribed molds...

To check off the female side first; I do like chicklit. Sometimes fluffy, predictable, easy to read books are just what you need. As for romance, while I like fiction with a romantic element, I wouldn't say I'm a particular fan of the full-blown, mills&boon, viking-on-the-front-cover type Romance genre. I have never read a family saga and never wish to.

As for traditionally male genres, war books bore me beyond belief. I don't read many thrillers, but I have nothing against them. Crime I quite like, and have read a bit more of. Sci-fi I love. I admit it, books about different worlds, futuristic dystopias, parallel universes, the whole lot.

Another favourite genre of mine is fantasy, not sure where that lies on the male-female spectrum. I also like adventure stories (male!) but equally books about the supernatural (mainly female?). The only horror stories I have ever read were Goosebumps, although I would quite like to try something more grown up. Maybe Stephen King? I don't really know where to start.

Anyway, the point is, at least from my perspective, that these categories shouldn't be treated like iron-clad barriers between the sexes. Of course they are based on generalisations, and I have no doubt that yes, more men do enjoy stories about battles, whereas women want to read about Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome. That doesn't mean we can't mix and match; it can broaden your horizons, and you might find something you like. The stereotypes are creations, crafted by us. Which means we can create new ones if we choose to.

No comments:

Post a Comment