Thursday 4 August 2011

Library & News

I was very excited to visit my new library today. Manchester City Library is in a different location while they redo the old one, and you can really tell its not permanent; the building looks nothing like a library. Its very unassuming from the outside (I've already walked straight past it once), and inside it has stained glass windows and thistle (yes, thistle!) wallpaper, juxtaposed with modern chairs, moveable shelves and all the latest do-it-yourself technology. I'm actually dubious about whether those self-service checkout things are a good idea. Maybe in a big city, but in my hometown, there is a high percentage of elderly people who are less confident/good with computers or technology. It takes twice as long to work than the old fashioned way and can get a bit irritating if there are queues. On the other hand, maybe its a good opportunity for more people to have access to the speedily techny world we now live in. Anyway, I like the library! Didn't have much of a chance to browse, but I'm still reading a fair few bits and pieces so I'll be back soon.

Also very excited to get Stylist and Metro in real paper copies again, even though my commute is walking distance. The best bits (of Stylist) is the Elsewhere page- news from around the world in bitesized chunks, the Work Life feature- some people have some crazy jobs!, and Tanya Gold, even though she does wind me up, I appreciate thats pretty much the point of her writing.

Some disapointing news for Larsson fans; apparently the rumour that he had left remains of a workable fourth book were overexaggerated- there are some notes, but nothing substantial enough to work into a full novel. I will be keeping my eye out for anything his partner, Eva Gabrielsson, writes, as she claims that much of the Millenium series comes from her ideas.

Final piece of news; Penguin Ink covers! To celebrate the company's 75th anniversary, they are producing ten of their favourite books with unique, tattoo-inspired cover art, and they are beautiful. I think my favourite is The Bone People, but check it out and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment