Monday 5 December 2011

The Hunger Games - verdict

So I read the Hunger Games. In a day. IT'S THAT GOOD.

But seriously, it really lived up to expectations. A perfect mix of adventure, and horrible-oppressed-world-of-the-future background that I find so fascinating. The books are very addictive, so much so that for a moment (just a moment) I considered staying at work so I could spend more time reading instead of taking the long (ten minute) walk home. When a story is this gripping, things like food, and moving become irrelevent compared to the necessity of just one. more. chapter.

As well as a good dose of fantasy and suspense, the Hunger Games has a great element of humanity that just tugs at your heartstrings; for Katniss's family, her friends, and all the people trapped in this terrible society.

There are only two things I find annoying about the series. One, Katniss's ignorance of what is going on around her can get tiring, especially when things are so obvious from an outsider's perspective. Yet, as I have acknowledged before, this is typical of anyone caught up in the middle of their own drama, and so only makes her more realistic. You don't like absolutely everything about any person you know, and this is true of main characters as well. We must empathise with them, we must like them, but not too much.

The other thing...I started the second book last night, and finished it about half an hour ago. I was excited to get to the end of the book, not only because I was so desperate to find out what happened, but also because I was looking forward to taking a break, and being able to do something other than read Suzanne Collins stupidly brilliant series. Just as I thought it was possible, the last sentences set the next book up perfectly and have me dying to know what it means, what's going to happen next and how it will all end.

I think I'm addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment