Sunday 4 December 2011

Started writing again

My book that is. I never really realised that it would be so much fun. Perhaps I never expected it to be because some people do this for a living and work is not meant to be one of your favourite things. Or in an ideal world it is of course, but thats not reality. But I love writing, and I love books, so maybe my surprise was unfounded. Anyway, its fantastic! Developing characters means I can dissect the personalities of all the people I've met, mixing and matching characteristics, as well as my own, to create brand new people. Its kind of like the Sims, and I think treating it more like a game than something too serious could help ease any regimentalised pressure to write a certain amount of words each day or anything like that.

Additionally, that rush of excitement you get whenever you read about a place or activity you recognise? That happens all the time when its your own book, because the story and setting are inspired directly from your personal experience.

Writing a book also allows you a degree of objectivity to life; a perspective thats very welcome when you are prone to get caught up in the little things. Events that happen to you, people you meet; these can all become research, as opposed to dramatic changes. Things are often easier to understand, and accept, if you are not directly in the middle of things all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment