Monday 4 July 2011

Into the Amazon- Jon Harrison

Just finished this real-life account of a couple's adventures through the Amazon, first by canoe, then by trekking through the jungle. Although I don't normally read/ enjoy non-fiction, this action story really grabbed my attention, and I couldn't put it down. It documents the challenges they face, the times they get lost, the food shortages and bugs and the pure endurance that pulls them through. Even with all the things that go wrong, and all the horrors that surround them, it still makes me wish I could do the same and just take off for some unkown part of the world, equally hostile and beautiful, that has not been disturbed by humanity. The book also includes facts and figures concerning the conservation of the rainforest, and certain governments complete lack of respect for the earth. In this way, it is a sad book, even as it celebrates man's ability to adapt and survive against insurmountable odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment