Saturday 16 July 2011

A note to say...

Sorry for the lack of blogging recently, and further apologies for the near future. Due to technological difficulties (I broke my laptop) and being rushed off my feet, I haven't had the time or resources to write on here.

Something to keep you going in the meantime...

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

As you may have noticed, I have a strong preference for fiction. For me, reading is pure entertainment and generally the more fantastical the better to escape this world. That being said, I do like stories that are more realistic, even to the point of them actually reflecting real life. Some (a few) of my favourite books are based on real life, for example The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. As long as the story is gripping and interesting, it is almost irrelevant whether it is true or not. Anyway, it is stories that fascinate me most, instead of historical accounts, or information about niche topics. Of course I am interested in some non-fiction, having read textbooks for the last three years (and actually enjoying some of them!) but it is far harder to get lost in non-fiction. The grounding of reality limits the extent to which you can, for an hour or two, experience something completely separate to your own life.

Additionally, I am not a huge fan of autobiographies. Although I have no doubt that certain people do lead extraordinary lives, I am not generally inclined to seek out their books to read. I think the fact that there are a lot of poor quality biographies about also puts me off somewhat.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment